Child Mental Health
Unfortunately, children are not immune to mental health concerns. Whether due to stress, family issues, or other concerns, many children struggle with mental health issues that can be greatly improved by therapy.
Here are some statistics:
- 1 in 10 children and young people aged 5 – 16 suffer from a diagnosable mental health disorder;
- Between 6-8% of children and young people deliberately self-harm. There has been a big increase in the number of young people being admitted to hospital because of self harm. Over the last ten years this figure has increased by 68%;
- More than half of all adults with mental health problems were diagnosed in childhood. Less than half were treated appropriately at the time;
- Nearly 80,000children and young people suffer from severe depression. Over 8,000 children aged under 10 years old suffer from severe depression;
- The number of young people aged 15-16 with depression nearly doubled between the 1980s and the 2000s, click here.
- The proportion of young people aged 15-16 with a conduct disorder more than doubled between 1974 and 1999.
At NCW, we are ready to help your child(ren) with:
- Learning better coping skills;
- Self-harming behaviors;
- Managing anger and other emotions;
- Navigating social interactions and pressures;
- Adjusting to and coping with family stressors;
- Handling fear or disappointment, and;
Learning to handle most other situations that cause angst more at Heartwood AL.